Thursday, February 26, 2009

10 Stereotype Occurrences

1) 2-22-09, 1:00 P.M.
Television.
"Friends", Season2
Scene at the Central Perk coffeehouse where all the women in the circle of friends have female-oriented jobs, like Rachel working at Ralph Lurean, Monica as a head cheff, and Phoebe as a masseuse.
Gender stereotypes.

2) 2-23-09 4:30 P.M.
Print.
Ad in "The Oklahoma Daily" shows a picture of a woman working out with the caption: "Lose weight for Spring Break", targeting women.
Gender stereotypes.

3) 2-24-09 10:30 P.M.
Personal conversation with Patrick Rains, Roommate, about basketball players and how they perform.
Racial assumptions/stereotypes.

4) 2-25-09 4:45 P.M.
Personal conversation with fellow news anchors in the green room, talking about races in comparison to intelligence.
Racial assumptions/stereotypes.

5) 2-27-09 1:46 A.M.
Print
Ad in "Newsweek" depicts a woman playing with a dog advertising a more low-fat form of Soy Milk, again forcing women to think they must lose weight.
Gender stereotypes.

6) 2-26-09 1:30 A.M.
Television
The show "The Fresh Prince of Bell-Air" displays Will Smith's character as the stereotypical urban black man. He lives in a family of rich, sophisticated but because he grew up without these riches, he speaks on a lower level and dances and fools around all the time.
Racial assumptions/ stereotypes

7) 2-21-09 10:00 P.M.
Personal experience
When I was filling up my car in Oklahoma City at night, a black man pulled up in a car next to mine, cracked the window and asked if I could spare a few gallons of gas. Ashamedly, I refused him, being too suspicious of his only cracking the window down a little bit and immediately fearing that he was some kind of gang member,
Racial assumptions/ stereotypes.

8) 2-20-09 7:23 P.M.
Print
The magazine "Men's Health" features an ad of a man blindfolding a woman with the caption "It's better in the dark". It is an ad for a cologne. This implies the sense of the man placing the woman in bondage and forcing her to submit to him byt relinquishing one of her key senses, and possibly the sense that could save her in dangerous situations.
Gender stereotypes.

9) 2-19-09 6:15 P.M.
Class experience
My Shakespeare Tragedy discussion group was trying to come up with different ways to spice up our class presentation of "Othello", and we volunteered the idea of speaking every line in gangster talk, which unforunately has become the stereotypical language of the African-Americans.
Racial assumptions/stereotypes

10) 2-18-09 2:20 P.M.
Billboard
Driving down I-35 towards Norman from Texas, I always see a billboard with two pictures on it, one a picture of a fetus and one a depressed young woman. It's a pro-life billboard, a caption reading something along the lines of: "One Life Lost, One Still Empty". This is making women think they have no choice but to have the baby no matter what happens.
Gender stereotypes. 474

Normally, you wouldn't give images or occurrences like these a second thought. It seems like the same situation that happens with privilege happens here as well. It seems like the norm, the standard way to live, and any deviation from this would be too radical or unwanted.

Without acquiring that extra sense of awareness that this class has provided over the last couple of weeks, I never would have looked for such elements as these in the television shows I watched or the magazines I read. I guess it was that moment in the gas station that I truly realized how much I was suffering from racism.

But is that even the right term? Suffering from it? Or am I choosing to stay where I am in this mindset? I felt genuine fear that night, I was in a notoriously bad neighborhood and I didn't know what else to think. Of course, I can't use that excuse. I walked away from the black man and when I went into the gas station, I never suspected the white man behind the counter to pull a piece on me.

I think that was when I first started believeing in the importance of this class. If I'm going to make a difference in the world as a journalist, habits like these have to be changed in order to preserve the greater good for everyone else.

4 comments:

  1. Nick,
    It seems as though your encounter at the gas station made you take a look inward at yourself and realize the importance of making snap judgments on people of another race, but at the same time, given the dangerous neighborhood, I think it is good to be cautious about whoever approaches you. I did not watch "The Fresh Prince of Bell-Air" this past week, but having seen it several times before, I know exactly which racial type you are referring to. The sad part about this show is that it is one of quality, but the premise in the beginning hit really hard on the stereotype of Will being a black, uneducated man, just because he is from a rough neighborhood. As the show progressed in seasons, this premise fell to the background a bit, but I would think that a show of this nature would try to break down racial barriers, not create them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's really interesting you wrote about the tv show Friends in your blog. I watch that show all the time and I always notice gender stereotypes. Like the men are really successful (Ross, PhD and Chandler, a mathmatician and Richard, a doctor). While the women all have very stereotyically feminine jobs (masseuse, retail worker, and chef).

    I saw that you were watching the second season. By the end of the series (the 10th season), the stereotypes change a little. Rachel becomes much more successful, Monica is the head of her restaurant and Chandler decides to start over with a new career in advertising. The show also has an interracial couple (Charlie and Ross) and a homosexual couple (Susan and Carol).

    ReplyDelete
  3. As mentioned before, your experience at the gas station was probably a harsh jolt to reality. It's funny how in our minds, we know something isn't necessarily correct, but we have those kinds of thoughts anyway. I think a lot of white people say that they are not racist, which is probably true, but those little, knee-jerk reactions are part of what makes eliminating some of the ideas that fuel racism so difficult.

    My dad is a marketing director for a TV station, and his employees would always try to figure out why the racial minority demographic never tuned in. He'd always say, "Because there are no black friends!" I thought it was interesting that you noticed the gender stereotype before the racial stereotype (or lack thereof), when I immediately think the other way around.

    I see that abortion billboard everytime I drive I-35. And the baby is so cute! I always wondered if men have the same reaction to that sign that I do, and I think you were dead on in hinting that the intention is for women to feel guilty, but not necessarily men.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Different perspectives make for a good conversation and a great class.

    ReplyDelete